New Hampshire Green SnowPro
The UNH T2 Center offers a full day Green SnowPro Training course focused on efficient and environmentally friendly winter maintenance practices. The course covers the basics of salt reduction including:
- Equipment Calibration
- Brine Making
- Pre-wetting with Brine and Other Liquids
- Effecient Application Rate Changes with Pavement Temperature
- Effective Plowing
- Emerging Technologies
- Salt Accounting
- Environmental Impacts
The course is approximately 4.5 hours of classroom instruction after which participants take a 30 minute exam to qualify for certification.
It is important to note that although the training is through the Technology Transfer Center, certification is provided by the NHDES. Currently, there are over 850 individuals who have successfully completed the Green SnowPro Training.
NHDES Salt Applicator Certification
Individuals who have attended the Green SnowPro Training and have passed the exam are eligible to apply for the voluntary NHDES Salt Applicator Certification per RSA 489-C and Code of Administrative Rules Env-Wq 2200. To obtain your certification from NHDES and obtain liability protection for you and your clients from slip and falls you must:
- Take the Green SnowPro Training workshop and pass the exam
- Annually apply to NHDES Click for Application Form (certification expires every June) There is No Fee to Apply!
- Every 2 years attend at least 2 hours of Professional Development Courses. Currently T2 offers a 2 hour refresher course. More courses will be added in the coming months.
- Annually log your total salt usage into the FREE Salt Management System.
- To ensure maximum liability protection also keep track of your activities for each storm event including each site visit, target application rates, weather conditions, and use of recommended best practices. You may use the free salt accounting system to track these records.
Want more information on the Salt Applicator certification?
Patrick Woodbrey, NHDES 603-271-5329
NH Laws and Rules:
NH Title L Water Management and Protection, Chapter 489-C, Salt Applicator Certification Option - available here.
NH Code of Administrative Rules, Chapter Env-Wq 2200 Voluntary Certified Salt Applicator Program - available here.
DES Certified Applicators
A complete list of the Salt Applicators certified by DES can be found here.
Next Green SnowPro Training:
The cost for the Training is $100 per person for municipalities and $200 for private companies. To register, follow this link.
* October 18, 2016 Exeter, NH
* October 26, 2016 Plymouth, NH
* November 15, 2016 Claremont, NH
Next Green Snow Pro Refresher:
The cost for the Training is $25 per person for municipalities and private companies. To register, follow this link.
* October 24, 2016 Concord, NH