Green SnowPro Training and Certification
New Hampshire Green SnowPro
The UNH T2 Center offers half day Green SnowPro Training courses focused on efficient and environmentally friendly winter maintenance practices. The course covers the basics of salt reduction including:
- Equipment Calibration
- Brine Making
- Pre-wetting with Brine and Other Liquids
- Effecient Application Rate Changes with Pavement Temperature
- Effective Plowing
- Emerging Technologies
- Salt Accounting
- Environmental Impacts
The course is approximately 4 hours of classroom instruction and 1 hour of field demonstration of calibration and brine making techniques. Following demonstration and classroom time students take a 30 minute exam to qualify for certification. Currently, there are 457 individuals who have successfully completed the Green SnowPro training.
Liability Protection through NHDES Salt Applicator Certification
Individuals who have attended the Green SnowPro Training and passed the exam are eligible to apply for the voluntary NHDES Salt Applicator Certification per RSA 489-C. To obtain your certification from NHDES and obtain liability protection for you and your clients from slip and falls you must:
- Take the Green SnowPro Training workshop and pass the exam
- Annually apply to NHDES Click for Application Form (certification expires every June) There is No Fee to Apply!
- Every 2 years attend at least 2 hours of Professional Development Courses. Currently T2 offers a 2 hour refresher course. More courses will be added in the coming months.
- Annually log your total salt usage into the FREE salt accounting system (link below).
- To ensure maximum liability protection also keep track of your activities for each storm event including each site visit, target application rates, weather conditions, and use of recommended best practices. You may use the free salt accounting system to track these records.
Want more information on the certification and liability protection?
Earle Chase, NHDES (603 271-5329 firstname.lastname@example.org)
Patrick Santoso, UNH T2 (603 862 4209 email@example.com).
Complete RSA 489-C Text is available here
Interim administrative rules are available for download here
Use Our New FREE Salt Accounting System
Next Green SnowPro Training:
The cost for the Training is $75 per person for municipalities and private companies. To sign up for a course, please register here.
- October 15 - Common Man Inn, Plymouth, NH
- November 14 - NHDOT, Concord, NH
Next Green Snow Pro Refresher:
The cost for the Training is $25 per person for municipalities and private companies. To sign up for a course, please register here.
- November 5 - NH DES, Concord, NH
Training Attendee Records:
2014 List of Course Attendees Who Passed Exam - Updated 3/12/14
(Including course date - use this to determine if you need to take a refresher course - 2 hours of professional development required every 2 years)
Exam Retake Policy:
Application Rate Worksheets:
Best Management Practices Sheets
Winter Maintenance Manuals
Excel Calibration Worksheets
Winter Maintenance For Small Sites (Part 1 - 10 Minutes)
Winter Maintenance for Small Sites (Part 2 - 10 Minutes)
- DRA Mosaic
- DRA MS
- Road Salt Reduction
- NH Municipal Contacts
- Policies & SOPs
- Cemetery Regulations
- Emergency Response/Management
- Job Specifications
- Legal Issues
- Load Limits
- Managing Employees
- Public Relations
- Public Safety
- Road Classes
- Road Management/Maintenance
- Road Regulations
- Solid Waste
- Traffic Control
- Winter Operations
- Work Zones
- Transportation Links
- Affiliate Groups
- NH Public Works Association
- NH Public Works Mutual Aid
- National LTAP Program
- About Us
- Other Events