The Supervisors' Toolbox is a collection of resources and templates to help public works supervisors in the hiring, onboarding, and coaching public works teammates. These resources provide general reference on a variety of topics, but always refer to your organization's policies and procedures, as well as any employment law or regulations, for direction.
This page is under development, and new resources are being added to it currently. UNH T2 is always available to provide technical assistance! Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Descriptions Toolkit from Vermont League of Cities and Towns
- Job Posting examples
- Sell the position, perks, organization- sample Heavy Equipment Operator/Snow Removal job description
- Search the job title at www.indeed.com for current posting examples (title keywords may include "Highway Maintainer", "Public Works Technician", "Public Works Maintenance", "Public Works Equipment Operator", "Public Works Director" etc)
- UNH T2 also maintains past job postings shared through PW.net and other examples- contact us for further assistance.
- The Job Description versus the Job Posting
- Sample interview questions
- Sample interview scoring matrix
- Planning the interview process
- Four C's of Onboarding
- Sample orientation plan
- New hire resources
- Involving the team
- NLTAPA Tailgate Talks library of ready-to-go short safety talks on dozens of topics to lead with your team
- AASHTO TC3 - for free local agency access, contact T2.Center@unh.edu for promotional codes from FHWA CLAS
Employee & Team Development
- How Great Leaders Inspire Action- Ted Talk from Simon Sinek
- Leading When You're Not In Charge 7 Ways to Drive Results Without Any Official Authority - from Edward Sullivan on medium.com
- On-demand eLearning for local road agencies and public works
- Social Media for Public Works
- Tips for Improving Your Public Speaking Skills
- STOP mindfulness method (Document from KS LTAP and additional information) for use in conflict or stressful situations