Culvert Maintainer Certification Training Information


Road Scholar Logo

New Hampshire Culvert Certification

The UNH T2 Center offers a full day Culvert Maintainer Certification Training class held in various locations  throughout New Hampshire. The course covers the basics of the NH culvert legislation that became effective December 21st, 2013. These rules were adapted in compliance with RSA 482-A:3, XVII - XIX. The course will cover these basics:

  • Certification Legislation
  • Certification Requirements
  • Process
  • Culvert Criteria
  • Responsibilities
  • Staying Certified
 **It is important to note that although the culvert training is through the Technology Transfer Center, certification is provided by the NHDES. 

Reporting: Quarterly Report

Reporting Period

Report Due

January 1 - March 31 April 15
April 1 - June 30 July 15
July 1 - September 30 October 15
October 1 - December 31 January 15

Quarterly Report:

  • Must file quarterly reports 
  • Maintain certification 
  • Provide record of work 
  • Electronic copy found @ NHDES website 
  • Or, file electronically to:

      Liz Knowland


  • File hard copy to NHDES:

      ATTN: Culvert Certification

      NHDES Wetlands Bureau

      PO Box 95
      Concord, NH 03302-0095

NHDES logo

Contact Information:

For more information on the Certification Contact:

NHDES Wetlands Bureau
Collis Adams

Frequently Asked Questions


Culvert Certification Basic Information:


  • Municipal or state employees who have successfully completed the Culvert Maintainer Certification and passed the exam.
  • NH Licenced Professional Engineers who are employed by or performing services for the state or NH municipalities.

**NH Licenced PE's May Apply For Certification Without Taking The Training Course**


 Eligible individuals (see above) need only fill out this DES application.  There is no fee for application.

***The certification is valid through December 31st of the following year.***


  • Certified individuals may maintain, repair, replace, or modify culverts up to a maximum diameter of 48'', or the hydraulic equivalent without prior DES permit
  • All maintained culverts must be able to pass flow without causing damage to upstream or downstream properties
  • All performed maintenance must be in accordance with NHDOT Best Management Practices for Routine Roadway Maintenance

All certified individuals must file a quarterly report form to DES detailing their maintenance activities for that quarter.


  • Work on culverts with a history of overtopping
  • Work on double culverts regardless of diameter
  • slip lining or other methods which reduce the diameter of the culvert

For these scenario please file a routine roadway permit BEFORE performing work or contact DES for specific questions and instructions.

Renewal of Certificate:

A certificate is valid from the date of issuance through December 31st of the following year. In order to renew the culvert maintainer certificate, the applicant must: 

  • provide documentation that the individual has completed 2 hours of instruction from an approved provider in one or more of the areas identified in Env-Wt 905.03(b) within the 2-year term of the individual's current certificate
  • provide a statement that the applicant currently holds a valid certificate as a culvert maintainer
  • be able to demonstrate that the applicant is employed at the time of renewal by a state or municipal public works agency
  • have filed all required reports
  • have not acted or failed to act in any way that would constitute just cause to suspend, revoke, or refuse to renew the certificate

Eligible individuals need to fill out this DES application.  There is no fee for application.  


Important Documents:

Quick Reference Sheet

Certification Application

Project Notice Form

Quarterly Report Form

BMP Manual

BMP Sedimentation Control Methods

Prime Wetlands

Culvert Inventory and Maintenance

Designated Rivers


Take a look at these training videos about different culvert practices.